Pages

Friday 20 February 2015

67\\ chinese new year 2015

Happy Chinese New Year guys! Sad not, I still have classes on chinese new year albeit it is only one or two hour classes. Back in Malaysia, one week break is already short for us now we have none. NONE! After all, we have 15 days for Chinese New Year isn't it?

Heard chinese new year song playing in a Chinese supermarket the other day and I was surprisingly happy. Our supermarket start playing it the day right after Christmas for subsequent two months to remind us how near chinese new year is and it is freaking annoying to listen to the same song for 61489 times a day all sang by different people. Never know that I somehow need all these songs now to feel like home.

Things I miss about Chinese New Year in UK:

1)My family



I miss my mum's cooking, my dad blasting chinese new year songs and how my sister complains about my laziness. No, of course I dont miss the spring cleaning part. But I miss how we wash our car porch together after dinner while thinking what should I wear for the first day of chinese new year.

2) Reunion Dinner


Everyone posted the photos of their reunion dinner my heart screams "I want!" every time I scroll Facebook. I actually tried to control myself and guess what? My family and friends kept sending me photo of the food they are having for reunion dinner now makes me so much sadder! I want to lou sang too, I want to be part of them too! Anyway I prepared my reunion dinner for 5 with Tracy so dont have to worry. (Mum, dont have to worry if you are reading this.)

3) The J Monsters


This bunch of people has been visiting my house during chinese new year since I was 17 (or 16?). The rule is, they can stay as late as they want as long as I am still awake. They treat my house like their own. Fixing the karaoke and sing themselves, grabbing the cold drinks in my fridge and stalking my sister. (!!) It is really fun, always fun to have them around. It is most probably the only gathering I have with most of them every year.

4) Cookies and Bah Kua


Kenyung told me he is sending me these last week and I have been checking my mailbox everyday to make sure I get my hand on them the moment they reach my hostel. Not only bah gua, also fish crackers and pineapple tarts! I miss munching all day and night and there are still a table full of cookies at the end of chinese new year.

5) Angpaos

 I dont have photo of angpaos in my picture folders but I dont want to just simply grab one on the internet. Who doesnt know how angpaos look like right. I remember filling in the angpaos the night before chinese new year and secretly observe to check how much is my mum giving out to each of my relative since I know the amount inside by differentiating the design of the angpao packets. Anyway, if you're looking for me while giving out angpaos, please hand them to my sister. She will convert 'em into pounds and send to me. Thank you very much for your kindness. Just kidding (or not)

Enjoy your day everyone! You're going to miss it when you are away from home, like me.

xx, Shan




No comments:

Post a Comment