Pages

Wednesday 13 July 2016

90\\ cheese tart craze

Disclaimer: this is not your average food review.

The baked cheesetart is the lastest hype in town. Jeff and I have been tempted many times to try but there are so many good possible choices it took us a while to consider. We were on our way to 1 Utama and the cheesetart post of Tokyo Secret and Uncle Tetsu appeared on my Facebook timeline at the same time. I turned to Jeff and showed him the video of cheese filling ozzing out when the tarts were cut into half. He was like
"Okay let's get them!"

There was a long queue at the Tokyo Secret which most certainly because of the limited tray of tarts they're baking each batch. We happened to meet my cousin's friend and he offered to help us to buy. (we went to queue up and he offered help. The queue was really long and we only wanted 2 pieces, so.. yeah we gave in.) He queued for 20 minutes before we were there and we waited for 10-15 minutes for him to get to the cashier. This is utterly crazy on a Monday evening!

So I thought since we are already here in 1 Utama, why not get Uncle Tetsu as well and compare them so we know which to buy/recommend in future. Uncle Tetsu is famous for their fluffy cotton cheesecake, their cheese tart might be good too because well, they are all cheese. As opposed to Tokyo Secret's rather slow service, we get everything done in 5 minutes at Uncle Tetsu. There was no queue, the tarts were all ready on the display rack and we just grab-and-go. Note that Uncle Tetsu cheesetart is in limited supply daily and each customer is limited to 6 cheesetarts only.

We didn't have it immediately after we get our hands on it. We only had it in the car before Jeff drops me home so the cheese wasn't exactly melting. Took our 1st bite of Tokyo Secret Hanjyuku cheesetart, and we both exclaimed in excitement. The cheese filling is so soft and creamy, you can taste the fragrance of cream cheese all filled in your mouth upon the first bite. 

By comparison, the Uncle Tetsu Kurimi cheesetart has rather flat taste. Not sure if it's because the Tokyo Secret's one is covering the taste of it or it simply taste bland. Besides, I prefer the Tokyo Secret crust better since it's more on the crumbly and crispy side than the egg tart/cookies kind of texture like the one from Uncle Tetsu.

I try them again at home as my midnight snack lol. Also, I lightly toast them in the oven before to check if the cheese will melt again after reheating?

Pardon the blurry photo, I took them at 1am after my revision, with my study lamp.
 - Tokyo Secret -
comes in a handy paper bag which is handy and also, very instgramable
- Uncle Tetsu -
While Uncle Tetsu put our tarts into a tiny paper bag like this. This is a bag for two tarts. 
Judging by the look, I think Tokyo Secret's packaging is more attractive. 
Uncle Tetsu priced at Rm 4.50 (they have buy 5 free 1 promotion) 
      Tokyo Secret priced at Rm 7.90 - Unquestionably, it is an expensive tart. 
Notice also how the Tokyo Secret baked cheese tart is significantly bigger in size than Uncle Tetsu.
I guess that's an even match here.
The filling isn't entirely melting even after toasting them
I tried Uncle Tetsu first this time. No, I still didn't change my mind. I don't like their crust. It is more like the ordinary egg tart kind of crust. Nothing to shout about.
I still think that Tokyo Secret is more flavorful and has crispier crust and thicker cream cheese filling. If there's something that I have to complain, that will be the cheese filling is too thick, finishing the whole piece all by yourself is gonna make you stuffed. 

More complaints: one cheesetart breaks your quota for the week, and I had.. one and a half of each. You do the maths! *start running in the room*

In both comparison, clearly, I prefer Tokyo Secret because I think if I'm paying that much to taste the heavenly cheese tart (that's what they said), Tokyo Secret would not lead to huge disappointment. So yeah, Tokyo Secret has my vote this time *toss vote into ballot box*

Look, I'm not saying Tokyo Secret is the best. I've seen reviews about how they're overrated or just another 'social media food'. But it suits my taste, better than Uncle Tetsu in this case. Give it a try if you haven't! 



Can't wait for the legendary Pablo cheese tart to open in Malaysia, I heard they're opening in October.

xx,shan

No comments:

Post a Comment